The Youth Leadership Program
About the Program
The Youth Leadership Program with Belarus is a four-week program designed to promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and Belarus. Youth from Belarus and the U.S. will engage in workshops and activities focused on teambuilding, goal setting, project planning, citizen participation, and volunteerism. The program’s sub-theme of healthy living with an emphasis on community gardens, food production, and good nutrition will engage youth in learning how to organize community service projects and how to partner with programs teaching urban gardening and agriculture. Participants will experience concepts in urban agriculture such as rooftop and balcony gardens and explore organic gardening and learn how these techniques can promote health and wellbeing.
The Youth Leadership Program with Belarus is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Following a pre-program orientation, participants will travel to Chicago, Illinois, for an orientation and management training workshop. Participants will then travel to host communities in Illinois, Minnesota, and Colorado, to live with host families and engage in community activities, site visits, and cultural activities focused on the sub-theme. At the end of the program, Belarusian students will travel to Washington, D.C., for a workshop to learn about the United States, its history, and its culture. After returning home, students will be supported in implementing projects in their home community and putting into practice their experience.
|Program Date||Action or Event|
November 28, 2014
23:59 Washington, DC, time
|January 2015||Interviews and English Language Assessment Test|
|March 2015||Selection Notification|
|June 2015||Pre-Departure Orientation|
|July 2015||Participants Travel to U.S.|
Application Requirements and Eligibility
To apply for a program scholarship, you must certify that you meet the eligibility requirements outlined below. If you pass to the next level of the scholarship competition, you will be required to provide documentation of your eligibility.
Eligibility requirements for student applicants from Belarus for the 2015 Youth Leadership Program with Belarus. Applicants:
- Must be 15 to 17 years of age at the start of the program (birth date must be between January 1, 1998, and May 1, 2000, inclusive)
- Must be an 8th, 9th, or 10th grade student when applying for the program,
- Must have an academic standing of "good" or better
- Must have previously studied English and will demonstrate a high level of English-language ability at the time of application
- Must be a citizen of Belarus
- Must demonstrate leadership potential and a desire to contribute to the community
- Must meet U.S. visa eligibility requirements
- Must be able to travel to the U.S. in July 2015
- Must not be an immediate family member of individuals who work with the YLP at the U.S. Department of State, American Councils, or one of the implementing organizations
Applicants must provide all parts of the application, visa photo, and passport or birth certificate in order to be considered for the program. Semi-finalists will be notified of their status and invited for an interview and further testing with YLP representatives in January 2015. All testing will be conducted in English.
Application should be submitted before November 28, 2014 – 23:59 Washington, DC, time.
Application Link: www.aisforms.org/ylpbelarus
Please address your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.