The Youth Leadership Program
About the Program
The Youth Leadership Program with Belarus is a four-week program designed to promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and Belarus. Youth from Belarus and the U.S. will engage in workshops and activities focused on teambuilding, goal setting, project planning, citizen participation, and volunteerism. The program’s sub-theme of healthy living with an emphasis on community gardens, food production, and good nutrition will engage youth in learning how to organize community service projects and how to partner with programs teaching urban gardening and architecture.
The Youth Leadership Program with Belarus is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Following a pre-program orientation, participants will travel to Chicago, Illinois for an orientation and management training workshop.
Participants will then travel to host communities in Illinois, Minnesota, and Colorado, to live with host families and engage in community
activities, site visits, and cultural activities focused on the sub-theme. At the end of the program, Belarusian students will travel to Washington, DC for a workshop to learn about the United States, its history, and culture. After returning home, students will be supported in implementing projects in their home community and putting into practice their experience.
How to Apply for YLP Belarus
- Complete the application form and essay questions on-line and upload the required documents.
- Complete the paper application form, including the essay questions, print and submit it and the required documents in person to the U.S. Embassy in Minsk.
- The application form (paper or online), including the essay questions;
- A visa photo or an electronic version of a photo taken within the last six months (photo should contain head and shoulders
- A copy of your passport or birth certificate.
Applicants must provide all parts of the application, visa photo, and passport or birth certificate in order to be considered for the program.
Semi-finalists will be notified of their status after December 15, 2013 and will be invited for an interview and further testing in January
2014. All testing will be conducted in English.
Certify Your Eligibility
Eligibility requirements for student applicants from Belarus for the 2014 Youth Leadership Program with Belarus
- Must be 15 to 17 years of age at the start of the program (birth date must be between January 1, 1997, and May 1, 1999, inclusive),
- Must be an 8th, 9th, or 10th grade student when applying for the program,
- Must have an academic standing of “good” or better,
- Must have previously studied English and will demonstrate a high level of English-language ability at the time of application,
- Must be a citizen of Belarus,
- Must demonstrate leadership potential and a desire to contribute to the community,
- Must meet U.S. visa eligibility requirements,
- Must be able to travel to the U.S. in July 2014, and
- Must not be an immediate family member of individuals who work with the YLP at the U.S. Department of State, American Councils,
or one of the implementing organizations.
Where and When to Submit Your Application
Applications may be submitted:
In person to:
U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section
2A Gertsena St.
8:30-5:30, Monday - Friday
Applications must be received by the YLP office by November 28, 2013.
Questions about the program and application process should be emailed to: email@example.com