Online Databases at the Information Resource Center
The IRC is equipped with advanced electronic reference resources. Public computers are linked to the World Wide Web and provide access to current governmental and public information. Major commercial and U.S. Government online services support quick retrieval of materials not physically in the IRC's collection and are searched only by the IRC staff upon request from the target audience.
Books in Print
- Bibliographic, ordering and publisher information for books currently in print and books soon to be published.
The Chronicle of Higher Education Academe Today
- Daily reports about news in higher education; a guide to the academic resources on the Internet; updates on legislation affecting higher education; new federal-grant competitions.
Dow Jones Interactive/Factiva
- Access to over 6,000 full text periodicals as well as major news sources such as Reuters wires, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. In many regions, Factiva provides strong host country news.
- An Internet based database of 2,800 titles with indexing and abstracting and 1,800 full text titles.
FBIS (Foreign Broadcast Information Service)
- FBIS collects and translates current political, economic, technical, and military information from the media worldwide for the U.S. government.
Federal News Service
- FNS provides transcripts to testimony, briefings, press conferences and congressional hearings with questions and answers. FNS also produces a daybook which details significant events in Washington as well as cabinet officer schedules.
- Firstsearch is a collection of 65 databases. Primarily bibliographic or index and abstract databases, these databases provide access to authoritative information on a wide range of subjects. Dissertation Abstracts, Public Affairs Information Service (PAIS) and Index to Legal Periodicals are some of the databases available on Firstsearch.
- A collection of four reference databases from Gale Research.
- information on over 140,000 international and US associations.
Biography Resource Center
- biographical information on over 180,000 people, both international and American. In most cases, it includes the full biographical entry as well as full text periodical articles.
Gale Database of Publications and Broadcast Media
- A directory of newspapers, periodicals, newsletters and broadcast media. Includes ordering and contact information.
Research Centers and Services Directory
- a directory of research centers which includes funding, research focus and publications.
- Provides online access to directories of the Congress, federal, state and municipal government, law firms, NGOs, judicial, media and associations.
- A full text database of current and historic federal legislation, bill tracking, bill texts, state legislation, case law, law reviews and over 6,000 full text news sources and periodicals including the New York Times, Washington Post and AP wires. This page gives us access to Lexis-Nexis Universe, Lexis-Nexis Research and Political Universe.
PDQ(Public Diplomacy Query)
- PDQ provides information on international relations and foreign affairs from most publications produced by the Office of International Information Programs of the U.S. Department of State. It contains over 300,000 full-text, bibliographic citations and information on upcoming meetings and conferences.
- ProQuest Direct is a database of over 4,000 indexed titles and over 2,000 full text journals with images.