Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Information for Travelers


All U.S. citizens residing in Belarus are encouraged to register with the Embassy's Consular Section. American citizens visiting Belarus for short periods may also register.

To register, present your U.S. passport at the Consular Section and complete a registration form. There is no charge for this service.

To register and submit your consular registration form online visit the following website:

Registrations allow us to:

  • replace your passport quickly if it is lost or stolen
  • contact you in case your relatives need to pass you an emergency message
  • release information about you or your whereabouts to family or friends you wish to designate in a Privacy Act Waiver

Registration with Belarusian authorities

U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Belarus are required to register with the local office of the Citizenship and Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior (formerly OVIR) within five business days of arrival. In other words, U.S. citizens who are staying in Belarus no more than 5 business days (plus a weekend) are not required to register. The registration fee is currently approximately $6 (the exact amount can be calculated by taking half of one National Minimum Tariff Unit) regardless of the duration of stay.  Failure to register can result in fines and difficulties when departing.  U.S. citizens staying in hotels are automatically registered at check-in. Registration performed by a hotel is free of charge.

Consular Information Sheet

The State Department maintains Consular Information Sheets on every country of the world, providing basic information on travel conditions and contact information for American Embassies and Consulates.

The Consular Section also maintains current information on travel advisories issued by the State Department.

Family Emergencies in the United States

If your family needs to contact you because of an emergency at home or because they are worried about your welfare and can not reach you directly, they may call the Consular Section at (375 17) 210-12-83. If you cannot contact the Embassy directly, you may call the State Department's Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747. This number is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may obtain information and assistance during these hours by calling 1-317-472-2328. The State Department will relay the message to the Consular Section. We will try to locate you to pass on the message, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, will report back to your family. Registering with the Consular Section upon arrival greatly facilitates our ability to locate you in the event of an emergency.