Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Registering a Birth

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. Parents should contact the Consular Section as soon as possible after the child's birth. Several documents are required for the issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which becomes the child's proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. For more information regarding a Consular Report of Birth, please visit the following website:

To schedule an appointment please click here.